Who can apply for Guardian's Payment (Contributory) or (Non-Contributory)?

Print page

If you are the orphan's guardian you will normally get the payment.

A guardian is the person in whose care the orphan normally resides.

As a guardian, the orphan must normally live with you and you must be responsible for the care of the orphan.

A guardian may be appointed by the courts. If there is no legally appointed guardian, the person with whom the orphan lives and who is responsible for their care may get the payment as long as the person uses the payment for the benefit of the orphan.

Where an orphan is attending a full-time education course, is aged between 18 and 22 years of age and is not residing with or in the care of a guardian, the payment may be paid directly to the orphan.

Last modified:29/06/2011