Public Service Identity

Print page

This Department is responsible for issuing the PSC as well as managing the Personal Public Service Number (PPS Number), providing a range of Public Service Identity (PSI) management functions and providing data matching services to other bodies specified under legislation. The Department is also obliged to ensure that, as far as possible, all the personal data it holds is accurate, complete and up to date. Where bodies specified under legislation, e.g. the Road Safety Authority (RSA), collect PSI data from a person, that information can be used to maintain the person’s PSI dataset, which is held and managed by this Department.

The PSI dataset is defined in the legislation (Social Welfare Consolidation Act 2005, as amended) as the following:

  • PPS Number;
  • Surname;
  • Forename;
  • Date of birth;
  • Place of birth
  • Sex; (please see here for information on Gender Recognition Certificates)
  • all former surnames (if any);
  • all former surnames (if any) of his or her mother;
  • Address;
  • Nationality;
  • Date of death
  • Certificate of death, where relevant;
  • where required, a photograph of the person, except where the person is deceased;
  • where required, the person’s signature, except where the person is deceased;
  • any other information as may be required for authentication purposes that is uniquely linked to or is capable of identifying that person;
  • any other information that may be prescribed which, in the opinion of the Minister, is relevant to and necessary for the allocation of a personal public service number.

Changing your name

Change of name by use and repute

  • You must show 2 years' usage of your new name. To do this, you must submit at least 2 of the following official documents: official communication with a Government Department, educational certificate, bank statement or card, utility bill, student or employee identification card (or similar), dating back for at least two years.

Following marriage or civil partnership

To change your name following a marriage or civil partnership, you must submit:

  • Photo ID in your pre-marriage/civil partnership name (for example PSC, passport or driving licence), and
  • Your marriage or civil partnership certificate.

Reverting to your pre-marriage or pre-civil partnership name  

To change your name back to your pre-marriage or pre-civil partnership name, you must submit:o change your name back to your pre-marriage or pre-civil partnership name, you must submit:

  • Divorce, dissolution or legal separation agreement documents or correspondence from a solicitor showing that a separation, divorce or dissolution has been initiated.

Name changed by deed poll  

If you have changed your name by deed poll, you must submit a deed poll registered with the Irish High Court.

Last modified:24/07/2017



 Related Topics