How do I qualify for this payment?

Print page

You will qualify if you:

  • are widowed or are a surviving civil partner, or
  • are divorced from your late spouse/civil partner and have not remarried/or entered into a new civil partnership,
  • are not cohabiting (living with someone as husband and wife/civil partners),
  • satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition (*see note)
  • satisfy a means test,
  • are living in the State.

*Note: Habitual Residence is a condition you must satisfy in order to qualify for certain social welfare assistance payments and Child Benefit. This condition took effect from 1 May 2004 and affects all applicants regardless of nationality.

For further information, log on to ''.

Last modified:22/11/2011

 Application Forms