How do I fill in the Carer's Allowance application form?

Print page

Before filling in the application form, please take a little time to read this section.

When we deal with an application for Carer's Allowance, we may have to assess the position of up to 3 people (the carer, their spouse, civil partner or cohabitant and the person being cared for).

We have to work out the income of you and your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant to assess means.

We must also examine the medical condition of the person being cared for to decide if they need full-time care and attention.

In addition, we must be satisfied that you, the carer, are providing full-time care and attention and are able to do so.

This means that the application form must ask for a lot of detailed information from you.

Before you begin filling in the application form and send it to us, you should read carefully and follow the instructions at the front of the form. You should read the checklist on part 9 of the form carefully to make sure you have completed all the questions and have all the necessary certificates and documents.

Application for a second person being cared for

If you already get Carer's Allowance and are now applying for a higher allowance because you are caring for a second person, you do not need to send in certificates again. In this case, complete the application form ( CR 1) in full and write clearly across the top of the application form, " Application for a second person - no certificates attached".

All other supporting documentation must be submitted with your application e.g. statements from financial institution, payslips etc.

The application form is divided into the following parts.

Part 1 deals with your personal details.

Part 2 deals with your work and claim details including your means. You must declare all means from any source, whether property, capital or income, for example rental income from a property or a person lodging with you. If you fail to do so, you could get a higher allowance than you are entitled to. You may be bound by law to repay any overpayment that results. Please sign the declaration when the form is completed.

If your means change after you have been awarded Carer's Allowance, you must report this at once to us in the Department.

Part 3 deals with the Habitual Residence Condition.

Part 4 lists the two possible payment options for Carer’s Allowance.

Part 5 deals with your qualified children(s) details.

Part 6 deals with your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant’s details.

Part 7 deals with your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant’s work and claim details including their means.

Part 8 covers details of the person or people you are caring for.

Part 9 is the checklist you should refer to before submitting your application.

Part 10 deals with the medical certification for the person or people being cared for. If you are caring for a person under age 16 and are getting Domiciliary Care Allowance, you do not need to send a medical report at this stage.

Remember to include all relevant certificates and documents with your application.

Last modified:30/10/2018

 Application Forms