How do I qualify?

Print page

You will qualify if you, the carer:

  • satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition ( see note 1),
  • reside in the Republic of Ireland,
  • are aged 18 or over,
  • satisfy a means test,
  • live with the person you are looking after or can be contacted quickly by a direct system of communication (for example, telephone or alarm) between your home and the home of the person you are caring for,
  • care for the person on a full-time basis,
  • take up limited self-employment or are not employed outside the home for more than 15 hours a week.

Note 1: Habitual residence is a condition you must satisfy to qualify for certain social welfare payments. This condition took effect from 1 May 2004 and affects all applicants regardless of nationality.

For more information, log on to

In addition, the person you are caring for must:

  • be so disabled as to need full-time care and attention (medical certification is required),
  • not normally live in a hospital, home or other similar institution, and
  • be aged 16 or over,
  • be under age 16 if Domiciliary Care Allowance is being paid for them.

If you are caring for a child getting Domiciliary Care Allowance, you do not need to supply a medical certificate or be the person who receives that allowance for the child.

Note 2:
You cannot get Carer's Allowance if the person you are caring for:

  • is getting Constant Attendance Allowance under the Occupational Injuries Benefits Scheme, or
  • has Prescribed Relative's Allowance paid for them.
Last modified:24/09/2014

 Application Forms