When and how do I apply?

Print page

Please apply 3 months before reaching age 65 for State Pension (Transition) or age 66 for State Pension (Contributory). You do not have to be retired from work to make your application.

If you do not claim within 6 months of becoming eligible you could lose some payment.

If you worked in a country covered by EC Regulations or a country with which Ireland has a Bilateral Social Security Agreement, you should apply 6 months before reaching pension age to allow the other country or countries time to decide on your application.

To apply, please complete application form SPT/SPC 1 and send it with the correct certificates (if birth, marriage or civil partnership occurred outside the Republic of Ireland) and documents to:

State Pension (Contributory) Section
Social Welfare Services
Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
College Road

LoCall: 1890 500 000 (from the Republic of Ireland only)
+ 353 71 9157100 (from Northern Ireland or overseas)

Note: Certificates are only required if you or your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant were born, married or entered a civil partnership outside the Republic of Ireland.

We do not accept photocopies of certificates.

If you are not able to get the certificate(s) immediately, you should send in your pension application form with a note stating that you will send the certificate(s) as soon as possible.

If you are sending in your certificates at a later date, please ensure that you quote your PPS Number.

Warning: If you fail to apply in time, you may lose some of your payment.

If you do not qualify for either pension, you may qualify for a State Pension (Non-Contributory) at age 66. This pension is means tested.

For more information, log on to 'www.welfare.ie'.

Personal Public Service Number (PPS Number)

You must give your PPS Number and the PPS Number(s) of your spouse, civil partner, cohabitant or child(ren) for whom you intend to claim a payment. If you do not know these numbers, please contact your local Social Welfare Office. They will let you know your PPS number. If you do not have one they will let you know what you have to do to get one.

For more information, log on to 'www.welfare.ie'.

Last modified:31/01/2012

 Application Forms