Does social insurance outside Ireland count?

Print page

If you do not qualify for a State Pension (Transition) or State Pension (Contributory) on Irish contributions alone, you can add on contributions that were paid in a country:

  • covered by EC Regulations, or
  • that has a Bilateral Social Security Agreement with Ireland.

These may help you qualify for a reduced State Pension (Transition) or State Pension (Contributory) from Ireland. You may also qualify for a pension from that other country.

You should give details on your application form of any employment or periods of residence in the countries listed below. We will send the relevant papers, on your behalf, to the authorities in the country or countries concerned.

The countries covered by either EC Regulations or under a Bilateral Agreement are:
  • Australia
  • Hungary
  • Poland
  • Austria
  • Iceland
  • Portugal
  • Belgium
  • Ireland
  • Republic of Cyprus (Cyprus South)
  • Bulgaria
  • Isle of Man
  • Republic of Korea
  • Canada
  • Italy
  • Romania
  • Channel Islands
  • Japan
  • Slovakia
  • Czech Republic
  • Latvia
  • Slovenia
  • Denmark
  • Liechtenstein
  • Spain
  • Estonia
  • Lithuania
  • Sweden
  • Finland
  • Luxembourg
  • Switzerland
  • France
  • Malta
  • the Netherlands
  • Germany
  • New Zealand
  • the United Kingdom
  • Greece
  • Norway
  • the United States of America
Last modified:31/01/2012

 Application Forms